Friday, September 07, 2012

His name is CHARLIE!!!

We got mail for Charlie addressed to CHARLES LAIN.  From our local school district.  On the paperwork for the school speech program. Really??

Charles.

That burns me up.  If we wanted his name to be Charles, we would have named him Charles!!  Yes, my grandfather's name was Charles, but all his friends called him Charlie.  Jason and I figured why give him one name and call him another.  It's Charlie on his birth certificate...not CHARLES.  Don't get me wrong.  I think Charles is a lovely name.  I know a couple of great guys named Charles.  But we wanted Charlie to be Charlie.

My brother is just Josh (not Joshua).  I'm just Jill (not Jillian). And Charlie is just Charlie.  I actually had to request the change in writing with the district.

Geez people, give our kid a break:)

2 comments:

  1. I had the opposite experience as a child. Anyone calling my house looking for "Charlie" was told by my mom that no one by that name lived there. As you know, I am probably more a Charlie than a Charles, but old habits die hard. We struggled with Gregory and Nicholas as our boys names because we knew other people would shorten them despite our wishes, but we knew we could live with Greg and Nick if it came down to it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And you know you were one of the "great guys I know named Charles" :) I would never consider calling Gregory or Nicholas Greg and Nick, but I guess I'm old school.

    ReplyDelete