Sunday, August 02, 2009

Pedi appt, visitors, church -- it's been busy the last few days

It's been a busy few days for us. Charlie had a follow-up appointment with his pediatrician Friday afternoon. He gained 5 ounces, so he weighed 8.8 pounds, which puts his almost at his birth weight (I'm sure he's over it by now since it's Sunday afternoon). One thing she HIGHLY encouraged us to do is keep him away from lots of people touching him and other children as best we can. While he's not on "house arrest," we will be limiting his exposure to crowds over the next several months, or at least until the springtime, so we can make sure his lungs stay as healthy as possible. He goes back to see her on Aug. 13 for his next check-up. I think we'll be seeing her a lot in the coming months as she wants to make sure he's progressing as he should be.

We've had lots of visitors this weekend, and our family, friends and neighbors have given us many wonderful gifts for Charlie. I promise I'll be getting around to thank you notes soon, so don't think I've forgotten about you!! He still has his days and night somewhat mixed up, so he and I are awake most of the night. Last night, the longest stretch he slept was two hours...sigh. While it's very frustrating to be awake so much, I know this is part of having a newborn, and I remind myself constantly during those 3 a.m. feedings what it was like to have him in the NICU for 12 days. My pity party quickly vanishes once I do that, and I'm able to focus on the important job of caring for this sweet angel.

For the first time in six weeks, we went to church last night. It was the first time all five of us have been in the truck together. It felt so good to be at church among our friends and family. It was "Snack Saturday" as Griffin calls it when we have communion. The boys love to take communion with us (which our church highly encourages all children to do if they'd like).

When our pastor saw us coming up to take communion, he swooped in and took Charlie from Jason. Pastor Rick held Charlie, introduced him to the congregation and briefly told them Charlie's story. His message was about God's promises, and he held Charlie up as an example of His promises. Of course, I had to hear what Rick said second-hand as I was busy helping Carter fish his bread out of the juice cup -- thank you Summer for taking it all in stride!! Regardless of whether I heard every word or not, it touched Jason and me that Rick would use our baby as an example to drive home his message. God is GOOD!!

I'm off to catch a quick nap while the two youngest boys sleep. Wish me luck:-)

1 comment:

  1. Wow, Jill! God is So Good and Faithful! I have been out of town and internetless but I am so thankful to find out all is well with baby Charlie! Cool name by the way! God bless your sweet selves!

    ReplyDelete