Sunday, July 19, 2009

Sunday's progress

Today was a better day for Charlie then it was for me!!! I cried practically the whole time I was with him this afternoon...I'm sure he wondered who the babbling idiot was today. Tomorrow will be better I hope. It's just really hard to see my sweet, innocent baby lying there, and I can't do a thing to help him. But enough about me, let's talk about sweet Charlie.

The big development from today was the pneumothorax seems to have resolved on its own. His doc tried a new therapy on him for six hours today (straight oxygen, which he hasn't been on in a couple of days), and by George, we think it worked. The pneumo was very obvious on the 5:30 a.m. X-ray, but by the 3 p.m. X-ray, it didn't seem to be there anymore. It's so cool his nurse can pull up his X-rays side by side on her computer at his bedside. The downside to his X-rays is that his right lung looked cloudier this afternoon then it has in the last day. But the docs aren't overly concerned about that change since the pneumo is gone.

His blood oxygen levels, blood pressure and heart rate continue to be in acceptable ranges with no meds. He is off his pain medication drip and is getting morphine (scary, isn't) and Versed on an as needed basis. I think he got three morphine doses total today, so that's not too bad. He wasn't as alert when we were there because of a recent morphine hit, so it didn't seem like he really knew we were there most of the time.

Charlie continues to do well with his feedings. He is taking almost an ounce of breast milk every three hours. He continues to make lots of urine and stool, so the "plumbing systems" seem to be in working order. The only big change that may be made overnight tonight is to take him off the jet ventilator and put him on a regular ventilator. That would be a huge stride as he has be on the regular vent for 5-7 days to really help his lungs heal. Other then that, he should be status quo overnight with the big events being an X-ray and another weight check. Hopefully, our weight loss plan will be successful and he will be closer to his birth weight of 8.9 pounds.

I'm getting lots of good comments about the blog, and I'm so glad you find it informative. I love giving you updates on our angel. Thank you for all your prayers and thoughts. We feel your love and concern for our family!!

6 comments:

  1. I am praying so hard for sweet Charlie. LOVE the name and he SO looks like a Charlie.

    He will be home soon. I just know it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. YEAH! So much progress in a day. Prayers continue to be the foremost priority for the Prince family. Love you ALL!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jill, I just want you to know that you are in our prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so glad he is doing better. I am praying for him. Love, Conner

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so glad you are able to update us via your blog. I check it regularly to see how you guys are doing. Our prayers are with you all. Love you, Sylvia
    p.s. What a GREAT name! Charlie! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am praying for Charlie. By the way I love the name to.

    ReplyDelete